Posted on: 31 January 2015
If whitening strips leave you with the pain of ultra-sensitive teeth, maybe it's time to find a new way to whiten your smile at home. Consider trying one of these DIY teeth whitening remedies to achieve that beautiful, white smile you desire:
An ancient Ayurvedic practice, referred to as "oil pulling" since the 1990s, involves rinsing your mouth with plain coconut oil. Oil pulling has been known to gradually whiten teeth over time because it contains lauric acid, a natural ingredient that kills the bacteria found in plaque. This bacteria contributes to staining and yellowing of teeth.
The only ingredient you need is one tablespoon of pure coconut oil.
Oil pulling steps for whiter teeth:
- Each morning before you brush your teeth, place approximately one tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth.
- "Pull" and swish the oil in and around your teeth for about 15 minutes.
- Spit out the oil and rinse your mouth with water before brushing your teeth.
Oil pulling does not provide immediate whitening results, but over time, it does whiten and brighten your smile.
Believe it or not, but activated charcoal can effectively whiten your teeth. Activated charcoal has been used for many years as a remedy for poisoning because toxins adhere to its highly absorbent surface. When using it to whiten your teeth, purchase activated charcoal capsules and simply pour out the charcoal powder into a cup.
What you'll need:
- ½ capsule of activated charcoal powder
Steps to whiten teeth with activated charcoal:
- Open a capsule of activated charcoal and pour half of the powder into a cup.
- Wet your toothbrush bristles and dip them in the charcoal.
- Gently brush the front surfaces of your teeth for two minutes.
- After brushing, spit out the charcoal and rinse your mouth with water.
- Brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
Although you may fear the charcoal will stain your teeth, don't worry because it rinses off easily with water. Try to keep it on your teeth for the full two minutes so it has time to work its magic. If you don't have whiter teeth right away, continue using it for a week or two to achieve noticeable results.
If professional teeth whitening treatments are out of the question right now, don't give up hope. You can still achieve a whiter smile by using one of these all-natural teeth whitening remedies. Talk to a dentist, like those at Four Corners Dental Group, for more information.Share